How to makeover a plain tin to make a pretty gift

Welcome back! This post should come with a health warning - if you are a CAS (clean & simple) fan then please look away now because today's project is a worshipper at the shrine of "pile it on" ;)

 I recently picked up an Aladins cave of prettiness - a copy of  "Tinkered Treasures" by Elyse Major - a thoroughly charming book full of Elyse's beautiful hand crafted upcycled "tinkered" projects - I couldn't resist such prettiness!! 

So in true Tinkered Treasures style, I've made a little keepsake box for one of my four young magpies daughters who loves to "play" with my Stampin Up stash, especially the buttons, soda tops, flowers and anything else frilly or sparkly that catches her eye. 

So, rather than my precious stash going amiss, I up-cycled an Altoids tin (Kirstie Allsop would be proud of me!) which she can stow her treasures away in until bedtime. It reminds me of my grandmothers button tin and the hours of pleasure I had as a child sorting, classifying, listing and generally daydreaming with her vast button collection. 


So here's the mkeover shot ...

and here's the before ...


Piled on, eh? ;) I did warn you!

I've used the lovely Print Poetry paper stack (129312 £6.25) for the lining papers with candy coloured spots on top and stripes underneath and just love the energy & fun from the combination of colours. The vanilla flower trim (126869 £6.25) has been sponged with raspberry ripple, summer starfruit & primrose petals inks to reflect the spots and the tin has then  been enveloped in crochet trim (118481 £6.25). 


The tags are from the Tiny Tags set (w 118091 £20.95, c 118592 £16.95) and stamped in Raspberry Ripple (126859 £4.95) and then punched with the super cute jewellery tag (117190 £11.50). The kraft colour heart motif is from the Artisan Embellishments Kit (129328 £8.95). 


Inside the box, my magpie chose some lace, a doily, vintage faceted buttons (4!!!!) (127555 £5.50) and two of the lovely paper roses, again from the Artisan Embellishments kit. I have tied these together for her with some more crochet trim to look like a nosegay and then tagged them with another Tiny Tags stamp and a mini peg from my stash.


The paper in the background of these photos is also in the Print Poetry stack which has a gorgeous array of designs featuring an array of Stampin Up colours and In colours. I think I might just be persuaded to make another of these for one of my younger stash foragers - watch this space! 

The tin was emptied last night and is now waiting patiently for the day to begin to be filled with more treasures :)


Want to make this project? Full instructions for creating this project can be purchased either by PDF instructions only via email  cost £1.50 or by PDF instructions & supplies kit for £4 which includes UK p&p charges - please email me at lisa.barton@hotmail.co.uk for purchase information :) Alternatively, if you'd like to order a catalogue to see the full range of Stampin Up! products please get in touch!

Until next time - keep tinkering!